Sunday, September 28, 2014

Day 267 Savannah

Ya know, every once in a while, I get the feeling that I should dig a little deeper.

We explore this concept in training and racing often, but I am more in reference here to the day-to-day. The mundane. The routine.

And since you asked (thank you) I will offer an example.

Today.

Today was a challenge. Today was a test.

I was assigned the mission, provided the logistics, briefed and shown the drop site.

That was the easy part.

The real challenge came doing it on the fumes. Dead tired, sleepless since DC.

So I got to dig a little. Focus and concentrate on NOTHING BUT NOW. Use both hands, keep the radio off, find the smooth crown of the road, and keep it real for 2.5 hours.

There were times that I had to shake the cobwebs. Stretches where the practice faded switching to auto-pilot, and by mile 50 I was singing the "Give Me Six More Miles Baby Jesus" (in B).

But we made it. And this course rocks. Not too dramatic or demanding, no signature climbs, no postcard ops, just 56 honest, rolling wide open miles through rural Georgia and South Carolina.
All I am hoping the video will reflect.

If it manages to capture some of the effort put forth by the videographer, all the better.

Because I think we can all sometimes use a sharper shovel.

Pic is just before the swim start on the Savannah River.

No comments: