Thursday, September 11, 2014

Day 250

I guess I have issues.

That run on opposite directions, concurrently.

I was working on an isolated and remote military instillation on this day thirteen years ago. I will never forget the skipper's words as he addressed the base and asked for everyone's focus, finishing with words that sent chills up and down my spine.

He signed off with, "This is not a drill."

What issues, then?

As I consider the terrorist attacks a horrendous example of the complex reality of today's military and industrial world (and continue to have doubts over the honesty and tactics of the former administration), I also believe that instead of hanging banners that proclaim "Never Forget"…

We should do just that.

As in forgive and forget.

Sorry, but this is one of the core principles of several religions, especially the one I consider my own.

It it we feel that the past is indeed the past and doesn't and shouldn't have power over us. The present is reality.

Our only reality.

If you want to carry that hatred and fear and pain forward, be my guest.

But I think as a people we would be much better served to take the lesson and move on.

Never forget?

Whose propaganda slogan is that? Dick Cheney's?

No comments: