Saturday, March 14, 2015

Day 3.73 Ahoy

Today I have the privilege of doing something for the first time.

I am quite excited about it. Despite the fact that I am in my second day of significant chest pain. I should be sleeping, but even that doesn't seem to help. 'Call the clinic' has been scribbled on my to-do list every day since last Wednesday yet I keep believing that I will 'get over' whatever it is that is that is causing this discomfort.

The strange part in all this is that I actually feel best when working hard. This morning's ninety minute set* as example, was challenging and intense. Towards the end I had a couple of reminders of mortality, but for the most part, it felt good. And when I am up and moving it is OK. I am dizzy, a lot of shoulder crunching, shallow breathing and bronchial irritation, my lungs feel like hay are filled with tumbleweeds, I have tingling in my left arm and I witness regular spasms at the center of my chest. It is completely new, all this, and a little scary.

I have downed a bolus of protein, had a three egg sandwich and a tall glass of electrolytes. I took a forty-five minute nap after our session*. And I am about to head out the door to visit RG before getting on the 1:10 ferry to Seattle. I hope all that aids and abets some recovery.

*Today's spin session:
One minute seated in gear 16
One minute standing in gear 16
One minute seated recovery in gear 7 @ 120 rpm.
Repeat from gears 16-20 for 90 minutes.

And now I am off to work on my friends boat. Something I have never done.

Ahoy!

No comments: