Saturday, October 11, 2014

Day 280.1

It went well. No complications, nothing dramatic, no issues. No Hail Mary.

I am now the proud owner of a Medtronic MRI Sure Scan A2DR01 PaceMaker (with MVP Complete Capture Management). To be clear, the device was graceful and professionally  inserted yesterday by Dr. Robinson, to act as mechanical governor to regulate the lower end of my range, which, as a result of bradycardia had been getting as low as 38. This was triggering many other symptoms, 99% of them classified as containing zero fun. The 1% lied (in both senses of the word) in the myth that a super low resting heart rate was something that endurance athletes worked hard to obtain and was a reward for building a dynamic aerobic foundation. Not when mixed with bradycardia it seems (in this n=1).

The cut a 'pocket' in my chest, implanted the device and attached two leads into the upper and lower chambers of my heart. I was under conscious sedation, meaning I was warm, fuzzy and humming Phish riffs, as the hour procedure played out. I had to spend a long and uncomfortable night, as the nurses 'rounded', checking vitals and administering antibiotics. My fellow Husky fan roommate and I watched the Cougars/Stanford game and then went lights-out.

Four tests this morning have all been positive, an EGK, X-Ray, mechanical test from the manufacturers rep and we now wait for the final check-up from cardiology, and discharge. I will see how much fun a guy can have getting from the U-District to downtown via the #25 bus, assuming it runs on Saturday, with one arm.  My left is in a sling when it will stay for a few days.

I would really like to get home prior to the 1500 kick-off of the Dawgs/Cal game.

Because for both of us I sense a new beginning of sorts. I am now putting a . after the title day of the year to indicate the days after insert of the 'pacer'. And the Dawgs will look back upon today as the day they found an offense and took the lead in the Pac12 North.

It has been a long time.

For both of us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great news! Fingers crossed with the bus ride.