Monday, October 6, 2014

Day 275

I am picking apples and chopping wood. The fall day is crisp and refreshing. On my run yesterday morning I actually felt some dew on my eyebrows, always an indicator of steamy runs to come.

As I move the ladder into proper position to grab the few apples that hang high on inner limbs, I remember when I used to do this for a living. Later as I bring the maul crashing down towards the center of the cedar round, I remember when this was for heat, not merely ambiance.

There is nothing like manual labor to clear one's mind. The physical effort, the necessary focus (up on ladders, crashing axes with maximal force) creates a wonderful opportunity to synergyze body and spirit. You don't have to think too much, you just need to get it done, and get it done smoothly, efficiently and safely.

There can be harmony.

And as I was humming along a thought entered my zone (completely welcomed):

I am looking forward to writing something tonight.

No comments: