Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Day 4.118 Zen and the Art of the DI

If indeed we use exercise as a stress buster, I failed convincingly yesterday. There have been countless studies suggesting the value of  a brisk walk, a therapeutic swim or a furious run when circumstances or situations reach critical mass.

So there I sat, facing the innocent group who had gathered pre-dawn to get in a workout.

I unloaded both barrels on them.

To a degree this is expected. Everyone knows that the typical spin instructor is a combination zen master and drill instructor with the primary directive of getting the recruits to over-achieve, go harder, last longer and attain a glimpse of what the dynamic triad of mind, body and spirit unification is capable of producing.

You don't do that by asking nicely.

I have a reputation for being loud. I yell. I cajole and as far as proximity defines, I am in their faces. Non stop. For an hour.

Sometimes I need this strategy to get myself to preform, 'come on, come on, you can do it'. Other times it comes as a response to stimuli. If I see someone slacking, they are going to know about its unacceptability.

Not because they are failing, but because it sends a powerful signal to others that half-ass might be a option, and that compromise is an acceptable solution when the going gets tough. This causes the chains of command to rust. And eventually fail altogether. The group lives and dies together, much as a baseball team or the third infantry division.

You have the power to motivate and inspire your peers. We must all assume the roles of leadership no mater our rank, rating or role. Often the most moving moments come from those who put courage on display, not raw power, speed or strength. It is about attitude, your focus and your willingness to do whatever it takes to accomplish the mission. Our mission is to improve, no easy chore.

If all this effectively manages a modicum of our accumulated stress in the process, more power to us all.

But please don't make me scream to get that point across.

No comments: