Sunday, April 12, 2015

Day 4.102 So it Goes

I am listening to a recorded version of Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five. Ethan Hawk is whispering the narrative. I have the volume up close to max and hang on every word as I navigate the slick highway, gray from a light rain. I remember the novel. I remember thinking how much I liked KV's style as I listened. It is, in both print and spoken word, gloriously absurd.

Perhaps that is why I like it so much. Connecting outlandish situations as witnessed by an objective, unbiased observer. and Billy Pilgrim can travel in time.

Sometimes I think I can too. If getting smacked between the eyes with the harsh memory of a silly adolescent misdemeanor can be called time-travel. True time-travel must have a physical element, I think, because real time-travelers actually take their bodies with them when they move between the then and the there. I just get the memory part. My body is always here.

Once upon a time I was patient to the skills of a hypnotist. She did past life regressions and thought I might be 'fun'. She put me under and orchestrated a meeting between me and my former self. My former self was alone in a high school locker room after a particularly tough defeat. The now me walked in like a newspaper reporter and started in with some questions. The then me wasn't in the mood but soon warmed to the oddity that there was something 'different' about this session. I/he couldn't put a finger on it but there was a bond, some connection, a warmth between us. Compassion and empathy between two apes of different color.

We are the same person, one the dejected 'now' star and the other the former star 50 years later. The elder wanted to help the younger get over his anguish and shame. He wanted to say, don't worry everything will be alright. He wanted to console, to advise, to befriend. I will always be here for you slugger. I know what you are going through. I know it hurts. I know how deeply important this is to you.

But it will be OK. Just take a shower, put your lettermen's jacket back on and go talk to Liz. She is waiting outside and she will tell you the same thing I am telling you now.

It's going to be OK.

So it goes

No comments: