Friday, August 15, 2014

Day 224

Almost one month. Since the last time I ran. It is almost like starting over after that long a break. I felt lost out there. My hips weren't rotating smoothly, arms were hanging like noodles and every footstrike was weak and fragile. Power glaringly absent. It was eerily similar to the last Old Timers Baseball Game in which I 'participated.' THAT wasn't really purdy either (photo at left).

Oddly enough, my heart rate stayed low the entire 33 minutes, only spiking when the ramp up from the marina neared 30%.

It was a necessary re-set. I absolutely MUST reclaim my stride. Without the run component, even a sprit-tri will be painfully (and embarrassingly) slow.

So this represents another point on the time line. A small red dot perhaps. Call it the day we got back to the pavement.

My lower back is already sore, patellas in agony.

But I hold a happy heart. And that is the part that needs the most work.

I was thinking about this as the puny miles passed, how fast does this particular muscle take to bulk up? Is it like hamstrings, quads or glutes? Or more like overall fitness and endurance adaptations over time?

Once again, tonight will be an indicator of response to stress. If I sleep well, wake with an 'appropriate' resting HR and am able to execute a 'safe' 90 minute spin in the morning, we might be on to something.

Something big.

Which is HUGE considering the smallness of today's 5K.

No comments: