Thursday, August 14, 2014

Day 223, Kona & Me


Always helps to have a very clear picture of your goals. Not blurry, obscure, vague, hazy or in doubt. You know, a kinda-sorta-maybe goal. The old, I will win this race is no one faster than me shows up.

That is not a goal - that is a circumstance. You just lucked out. It is the kind of goal that Tony Soprano could manipulate by making sure about it. WHY nobody else showed up is sinister and criminal. Has nothing to do with goal attainment.

So let us know our goals. Let us reaffirm our targets. Let us add a dose of reality.

Here is what it is going to take:

1) Hard work.
2) Persistence.
3) Desire.

Yesterday was my first session, actually two, since the big ablation procedure. I gave rehab one week and now I need to see where we stand in order to devise an effective game plan moving forward (a term that makes me cringe most of the time.)

Today was a little rough. I can feel my cardiovascular system laboring to preform under stress. I will attempt a 2x20 set tonight, after 24 hours of recovery at a very low percentage of ftp. I will again monitor HR throughout, keeping it well under control. I will be patient and disciplined, fighting the urge to let 'er rip. That would be ego, not adaptation.

And we will repeat this process until progress and improvement are the result.

Because my goals are clear.

To return to racing Ironman,

To win my age group in Kona.

I have three years to train.

Clear enough?

No comments: