Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Day 221

This amazing ride.

Flying high in April, shot down in May.

Yesterday I was a wreck, unable to connect with the present let alone deal with planning a future. There were moments of anguish in which I wondered how I would respond if this was to be 'it'. 'This' forever.

For an endurance athlete, heart is everything. And here I was, operating with damaged goods. The hardest thing I undertook yesterday was another nap. I told the nurse that was exactly the opposite of what a guy should be doing when thousands of dollars in debt on a sunny day. I don't think she got it.

But last night was calm. I slept for almost ten hours and awoke this morning with a feeling of vigor unlike any of the past week, today being the one week anniversary of the procedure. Could this be the proverbial corner? Did I just take a hard right into the light? Can get back after it?

Or should I wait? Is it patience I need more than a 30 minute spin? Am I ready? Is this the ONE TIME that saying no is the correct response?

Should I take another day to recover instead of signing up for an Ironman?

I'll give it today. My resting HR was 55 this morning. It is now 57. Before all the fun began it was 42. I am not sure what that means. But I'll tell you what……

If I can get back to work, I don't care.

I wish me luck.

No comments: