Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Day 10. 204 Ask Your Dad

Sample size is important if we are to draw good conclusions from antidote.

Over three million Americans deal with the sometimes lethal consequences of heart arrhythmia. That number will grow as us Boomers age-up. A man in his 50's has a 6% chance of hitting the heart lottery, but that doubles when he gets into his 80's. Science and medicine are learning more about the causes and effects at an encouraging rate. Which is good because by their own admission, there remains more questions than answers. They use the tern idiopathic which loosely translated from the Latin intones, "We have no idea."

So when I read an article connecting the key words of heart arrhythmia and endurance training, I grab the nearest shaker of salt.

There are simply too many variables to consider, too many options and way too many different training regimens to accurately define and classify the causes and effects of one on the other.

It seriously chafes my butt when one person, regardless of his or her success or experience, tries to 'warn' others that the results of their choices towards a healthy lifestyle could actually do more harm than good, and thereby putting the fear of God into a hill-climb or half marathon. There is challenge enough in getting our populace to exercise more without the the fear of final failure.

Please allow me a contribution here. Another "experiment of one' sample. size. Having some history and experience on both subjects all I can do is spin my story in a way that helps me help you. I have what is known as chronic atrial fibrillation - paired with a delicious dose of Bradycardia (too slow a rate). Five trips to the ER, four aversions, an ablation and a pacemaker implant later, I was not only broke but badly bent as well.

Both my cardiologists and my electrophysiologist answered my biggest question with a surprisingly similar phraseology, 'do what you want to do'. Go smell the roses.

But I do Ironman. I train every day and train HARD every day.

Good for you let us know how it goes and good luck.

I will now give you something to take away from all this besides fear. Here are the two most important things I have learned throughout my personal ordeal.

1) Get a good diagnosis as early as possible. Are you over 50? Book an appointment with the cardiology department of your PCP and have them do some tests.

2) Ask Your Dad. DNA carries the gnome. My Dad had it and his Dad did too.

I wanted to leave you with something positive from my circumstance. There you have it. Get checked out and Go Ask Dad.

Then do what you want to do.

No comments: