Monday, January 19, 2015

Day 1.19 Swoosh

As much as it hurts me to say, pains me to admit and fills my soul with impuissance, it is nevertheless true.

One of the greatest advertising campaigns of all time promotes a company I have had issues with for twenty years.

I do not run in their shoes.
I do not wear their gear.
I do not support their teams.

Have you guessed by now of whom I speak?

Of course you have.

But let's be sure to separate to two. One is the company and the other an advertising agency. The former hires the latter to promote their image, their products and their brands. How they do that is the genius behind the sales, in my most humble of assessments.

When Nike came out with the 'Just Do It' campaign, it was widely accepted as very good. It is more than very good - it is great. Dare I say phenomenal. How the slogan addresses every situation, sporting or otherwise, with its prolixity is nothing short of amazing. I mean, really, can you imagine a more altruistic campaign from somebody trying to sell running shoes? It answers every question first, then powerfully moves from emotion to inspiration with nary an overt pitch for sales. Pre might have even approved.

It is brilliant. Cunning. Didactic.

Just Do It. Beautiful.

Just Do It.

I think Dr. King and the Seahawks would agree.

PS: I LOVE seeing Huskies in the end zone!

No comments: