Sunday, January 11, 2015

Day 1.11 Awesome

I see you have once again taken to keeping the dictionary out all the time.

I have.

Any particular reason?

Just in curious mode, and without Google at my fingertips, this gives me access to wisdom, or at least correctness. There are 59,000 words there and I probably know a tenth of them.

Curious mode, eh?

Yes. That time and place where inquiry and advancement intersect. The more you know the more you know you don't know anything at all.

I pretty much feel like that all the time.

Me too, so keeping the Webster's handy eliminates the bad habit of knowing only half a word's meaning, or none of it for that matter.

An interesting practice my friend.

Yeah, I am constantly amazed to find what I thought a word to mean, is actually not even close, sometimes even its opposite. And then there are the technical terms unique in a specific trade or practice. Then Latin, then slang, then…well you get the idea.

I do. Do you have a favorite, a recent example?

Sure, just this morning, for some reason, I wanted to learn a few synonyms of a commonly used word, so I looked it up.

The word?

Well, let's do this, I'll give you the synonyms and you tell me the word.

OK, I'll try, go.

Reverence, fear, wonder.

Awesome.

No comments: