Saturday, January 3, 2015

1.3.15 To Race Again

I really want to race again. I am in no shape whatsoever to do so, but I think I need the self satisfaction of a successful event. The feeling of accomplishment so ephemeral and validating.

That would be a simple and achievable chore if we were talking about a 5K, but alas, we are not.

We are (I am) talking about an Ironman.

Precisely, that consists of a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride and a 26.2 mile run. I have completed a dozen or so the last being in 2009.

Yes, a LOT has happened since that day, but I want the feeling back. I want it again. I want to feel the joy of seeing the shore, peeing on the bike and slugging out the run. I like the challenge and welcome the pain.

I was reminded of all this last night when my college football team of choice was getting their collective teeth kicked in. I thought about disappointment. I thought about loyalty. I considered valor and courage. I even flirted with the idea that none of this is truly important, so why attach unnecessary anguish to a game played by kids in college.

They lost a big game.

Not the end of the world by any measurement. But,

there are always lessons to be learned.

Discipline and focus. Mental toughness and tactics. How to breathe and how to fuel. The preparation necessary to put one in the best position possible for victory.

Too, define victory.

Is this the end?

Or motivation for a fresh beginning?

Sometimes it takes a kick in the teeth to get your smile back.

I really want to race again.

Here we go.

No comments: