Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Day 180

Ya gotta have heart.

I have the luxury this morning of placing my complete trust in my medical team.

They want to, almost insist, that I undergo another cardio-aversion procedure. For those of you with 100% healthy hearts, this procedure may sound a little, ah, irregular.

Those of us with irregular heart rates, arrhythmias, experience, on occasion, or in my case, chronic, symptoms that are challenging at best, debilitating at worst. You just never know when the heart's electrical system will short, re-route or over-correct the blood flow necessary to accomplish the task at hand. Nothing like 200 beats per minutes in meditation, or 30 when sprinting towards a IMPR.

The latter decoded, is IronMan Personal Record.

My cardiology team also insists (or do I insist for them?) that I should keep doing what I do and report to them for data recording. I am somewhat a lab rat here, as they have confessed that I am their only patient that tries to train their way through atrial fibrillation with such relentless passion.

They are also staring to consider (upon review of the data) that the relentless passion element plays a vital role in my self assessment of quality of life. I could elaborate here, but I think you get the idea.

In closing then, let me please make this perfectly clear, UNTIL THEY TELL ME TO STOP. I WILL CONTINUE TO TRAIN, TRAIN HARD AND ENJOY THIS CRAZY RIDE.

The procedure today is very simple. The incredible drug (the name of which I will remember today) does three ten second chores:

First ten seconds: Off to La-La Land we go.
Middle ten seconds: Stops your heart. Flat line. During this critical ten seconds of zero cardiac activity, they hit the big red button and direct 260 joules of electrical current to the patient's pump. Essentially a re-set. The idea is that it will restart in a normal sinus rhythm. And Bob will again be your uncle.
Last ten seconds: Brings you back to the land of the living.

I have failed this twice already.

I do NOT intend on going oh for three.

Ya gotta have heart.


http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/atrial-fibrillation/basics/symptoms/con-20027014

No comments: