Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Day 9.161 All of the Above

The Dunning-Kruger Effect, rendered down to its most fundamental, says this:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

I am the fist to admit that this is true. We put it on the table for discussion last week with the 'illusion of explanational depth' thread, considering the cerebral levels to which we profess to possess.

Under this scrutiny, we, perhaps suddenly, realize that we don't know Jack. We used to say that the more you know, the more you know that you don't know anything at all. The DK Effect validates this assumption quite nicely.

The most relevant topic in exploring this agenda (for me) is the obvious one:

Diet and exercise.

I know a little about each. I know a little about their combined value. I know a little about what works, what doesn't, how to and how not to. Am I an expert?

NO WAY. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

My knowledge and understanding of the diet & exercise conundrum, and how it (they) are leveraged for success in training and racing, health & fitness, success & victory, goal achievement and  peace of mind, is limited. And flawed.

Armed with this reality, should I:

A) Go back to school and get a degree? Delay application until I know 100% of everything?
B) Continue with the experiment? Be it an experiment  of one - or one hundred?
C) Share whatever wisdom I have, to date, accumulated or stumbled upon?
D) All of the above?

I think I will tackle D, all of the above. By the following methods:

A) Google the shit out of it. Keep talking with coaches, athletes, scientists that continue the search for depth and detail.
B At the very least, my body (mind and spirit) is my laboratory. This is an experiment of one. If others want to join our team, they may. We only have a few rules and they are easy to follow.
C) Yes, everything and all the time.

This might be the Catch-22 of Ocams Razor.

The DK Effect tells me I know very little.

Knowing that, I can advance.

No comments: