Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ton of Bricks

Quick one today. Got a ton of bricks showing up for the PO sometime this afternoon and need to be ready. Please note that in this instance a ton of bricks means exactly that and not 2,200 bike/run sessions. Astute readers will quickly note that while there are 2,000 pounds in a short ton, the metric, or long ton number is 2,200, and since we go long around here, that is the correct usage/distance/ metaphor.


Some other short takes on going long. I am seriously considering heading up to Penticton next Sunday to stand in line to register for the 2012 Ironman Canada. This as a result of re-reading the USAT rule book. Now you race in the year of your birth, not your age on race day, as it used to be. Meaning that I can race anywhere I want next year in the super-geezer class and try again to KQ (Kona Qualify). This has been a strategy issue because I really like IMC but it traditionally is held a few days before my birthday. Big quandary removed. I need to decide today.


The PO (Pizza Oven, pictured above) is growing. Had to make another design change yesterday, but I think it will work OK. Being my first build I am hoping that I don't get to the next stage only to realize the engineering reason for the initial plan, and how I totally blotched it. Might get there tomorrow.


My elbow is on fire. Can't sleep. Coffee in left hand. Deep concern. What if it isn't the self diagnosed tendinitis? Ouch.


Going through the last phase of the jersey process, getting final check-off from the sponsors. We had to change a few logos, and nothing can rile a brand manager more than somebody taking unauthorized liberties with their corporate identity.


The Multi-Rider Center is galloping along at full speed. Looks like next Friday will be install day. Floors, walls, big screen, CTs and all miscellaneous decor going up. Still lots to do, but real progress and everyone has been super supportive along the way.


Summer has finally found the Northwest. A couple of beautiful days here. Had to chuckle out loud driving to the Home Depot yesterday with The Brothers still showing a snowy summit in back of shimmering Liberty Bay. My thought was if a realtor can't sell Northwest property on a day like today they had better find another line of work.


Good for running and riding, too. Maybe not a ton of bricks, but surely one or two.


Bricks provide a solid foundation, for both pizza and race fitness.

2 comments:

Bob P said...

Looks like there are still volunteer opportunities at IM Canada - which gets you a better place in line to register. I'm definitely up for IM next year - but would probably need to snag a Community Fund spot. Work commitments on 29th. Good luck if you go!
Bob

KML5 said...

That is exactly how I got into my first IMC back in 1996. I can't spend three days there this year, so I am going up Sunday, queue up Monday and keep fingers crossed.