Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Askin' Too Much?

I was 'in' from the preface:


"Dr. Frankl, author-psychiatrist, sometimes asks his patents who suffer from a multitude of torments great and small, "Why do you not commit suicide?" From their answers he can often find the guide-line for his psychotherapy: in one life there is love for one's children to tie to; in another life, a talent to be used; in a third perhaps only lingering memories worth preserving. To weave these slender threads of a broken life into a firm pattern of meaning and responsibility is the object and challenge of logotherapy, which is Dr. Frankl's own version of modern existential analysis. Preface to Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning" by Gordon W. Allport.


Wow. What do I have today that will keep me from a permanent and violent ending?


I have you. Whomever you are and wherever you might be. You are here now, reading this, and I have one chance to make an impression. That is my reason, meaning, challenge and goal. That is why I am here. As well as my answer to Dr. Frankl's deeply personal query. I want to be of service. I want to find my highest truth and stand in awe of the beauty given to us by our Creator. I want to best utilize my talents and energies and understandings to pay it forward. I have a responsibility, and I spend the bigger portion of the daily pie chart honing the skills, talents, ways and means to translate the cellular impulses I receive into tangible, concrete, meaningful forkfuls of value. (It was cherry and peach today.) I think that when we connect the body with the mind we step closer to the Spirit. We did that this morning. When I asked if that was asking too much, no one said yes it is, let's please just stay in our contort zones and pretend like there is growth in mindless repetition.


That is not what we do or who we are. We will not settle for the mediocre, the middle, the easy. I want your best. Even if that is only for 12 seconds. We can, together, build from there. You have my solemn and sacred promise that I will hold your hand when the going gets tough, when you feel like backing off, when the pain gets too intense, when the prosperity becomes almost unbearable. When you wonder how much goodness, joy, happiness and clarity you can stand. When your love is so pure that it frightens you.


As Nietzsche adds, "He who has a why to live for can endure almost any how."


If you are looking for a why, try this one: To become your best. Commit to the process of measuring and managing your awareness so every action, every pedal stroke, every foot strike, each single and isolated thought turned to action is a manifestation of your honor and devotion to shine back a blinding light of image, likeness and love. You gotta love what you do. You gotta do what you love. Be your best.


Is that asking too much?


Pic: The swim. Part of the whole. I can get better at it. Or drown.

2 comments:

ej said...

it is a crime to kill yourself too, you can go to jail for it

KML5 said...

Life without parole?