Monday, August 29, 2011

Guy goes 11:10!!!




The guy goes 11:10!!!!! I get back to my desk after the inaugural HoM spin in new config anxious to check in with the Ironman Canada times and see what the times were from my new age group. The one in which I will be participating in for the next five years. The one in which I would like to take advantage of my youth (sic) and KQ (Kona qualify). Please remember dear readers (VBA) that my PR in Penticton was a 11:15 way back in 2004 when the world was a radically different place and my hair was brown.


During class I made the decision to go for it. To suck it up and pay the piper. The clincher was that it might present a video opportunity for on-line training, as we have, as of RIGHT NOW, 364 training days till the 30th anniversary of this world class event. And that is no exaggeration. I log on. The results are still in preliminary stage and I scroll down, seeing names I immediately recognize and numbers to which I relate, bike splits, transition times, overall.


I scroll past the pros and the fast age groupers seeing the times increase as I go. Through the nines, into the tens, and at the start of the elevens. Please keep in mind that Ironman Canada draws a very talented international field, lots of Europeans, Aussies and Kiwis. The super fast 50-54 AG'ers start to pop up and suddenly I see a guy, someone I don't recognize, A German, in MY AGE GROUP, winning with a 11:10 time. For the record, and because we love to recognize exceptional individual achievement at RCVman HQ, the gentleman is Herr Klaus Rosskopf. He is from Kempten, Germany. I hope to have the honor of meeting him one day, preferably not, however, on August 25, 2012. I will look him up in Kona.


11:10! Five minutes faster than my best from almost a decade ago. I am aghast. I am disheartened. I am borderline angry at the unfairness of it all. 11:10. I can't go 11:10.


Maybe, maybe not. I can try.


In three hours on-line registration opens. I will be ready with CC in hand. It will take an instant $700 (thank you Willow) and then,


364 days of focused training to see if I can go 11:09. That is the goal.


As announced this morning, your comments are welcomed here on the re-configuration of the all new and improved House of Mirth. If you have any questions on the CompuTrainer Multi-Rider system we will address those as well. Kickoff is Thursday night. Let's start to get those teams ready for league play.


All for now. I gotta go find a swim coach.


Video is (standard def, sorry) a piece I Kung-Fu'd together in my motel room in Penticton the night of the 2006 IMC. I even have a cameo atop the now retired Great Panuzzi.


HoM re-config: Does it work for YOU?

1 comment:

Willow said...

I think you should train/charge us (outside of the HoM...we already pay for that), in order to raise money for this ridiculous entrance fee!!! I know I'd pay you for a training plan and partner. I'm considering another marathon. CONSIDERING!!! And it's too difficult to do it alone.

I know there are many people out there who would pay to have a coach like you!! Just sayin'