Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Security is an Illusion

Couple of quick notes this, yikes, afternoon. I guess that is what, or more precisely where, a morning filled with yoga, spinning, commuting and video editing will land you. A day half gone. That being said, I am happy to be out of the gate and steam-rolling down the path to Penticton. I want to start with some metrics as point-of departure data, so I used my most recent events as "Before". In 358 days, when we begin the taper, we will post the "After" to see if we can draw any legitimate conclusions. I will post them later along with some CompuTrainer Multi-Rider FAQs. These In support of my theory that to compete at the IM level at FOP (front of pack), one needs AT LEAST two hours of solid cardio per day, here is an excellent blog post from endurance corner.com to validate that stance.


"When the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts." Rollins


"Security is an illusion, do not ask me to blanket your freedom of choice." Lynch


Also, as I mentioned in a VBA response last night, my approach has softened somewhat. Although maybe aged, cured or seasoned is a better word. True, I remain prideful of that fact that I can "focus on the goal" and remain dedicated and committed through thick and thin. BUT, as we learned up at Lake Stevens, sometimes your best simply isn't good enough to achieve an artificial objective. After all, I had zero control over that that guy from California who so thoroughly cleaned my clock. All I have control over is me (and sometimes I question even that). Point being that my all-new, adjusted for illumination, official size and weight, race goal is now to:


GET AS GOOD AS I CAN, AND RACE TO THOSE CAPABILITIES.


Whatever happens after that, assuming those criteria are met, is alright by me. I have been to Kona many times. Just booked Alaska flight 67 for October 3. I will race there someday. It might be next year. It might not. As long as I can keep healthy, keep improving, keep growing, keep learning, and keep re-defining my understanding of the big (island) picture, it is fine.


Finer than fine.


Finer than frog's hair.



No comments: