Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Go make tea

Flexor digitorum longus grade one strain. Rest, ice, compression, more rest. Not great timing. Most likely cause: Overuse and intense climbing on bike. Going to take it one day at a time. I opted to test it this morning at yoga with focused attention and fluid movement, no weights and reduced range of left side motion. No dorsi flexion, wrapped in neoprene for support, compression and heat retainment.


Worked so well I even thought about hitting the scheduled pool session and doing 1,000 meters with no kick. Resisted the urge (eliminated the thought) and will rest, ice, elevate and foster healing process as "real work" continues. More here from UW Physicians.


How or Why did this happen?


A) I should have paid closer attention to the twinging port side periformis irritation as the week built. It was stressing an already fatigued hamstring, which in turn, caused a knee imbalance, soleus strain and finally, as the lowest common denominator, stretched the ankle tendons past their current tolerances. Overuse, fatigue, intensity, trauma. I should have backed off on Saturday's spin, Sunday's climbs and Monday's popcorn. Maybe.


B) I have known for some time about the weakness in my ankles, especially the left. Was I thinking (hoping) that all the hills, both in saddle and afoot would naturally build a stronger, more flexible joint? I suppose I was, yes. Did it work? Maybe again. We'll see how it rebuilds. There could be a silver lining.


C) Was this a cosmic message send to initiate rest because I am too dense, too insensitive, too stubborn, or too habitually full of endorphin fueled hubris to notice the need?


D) Or could it be just one of those things that happen, semi-peacefully coexisting independent of analysis, meaning, sublimation or psychology? You know, like 99% of life. Shit does seem to happen with alarming regularity.


I will give it some heal time, monitor closely, limit dorsi flexion and hope like heck that it is ready to go in twelve days. Not great timing, but as the saying goes, life doesn't start and stop at my convenience. Deal with it.


One closing note: Michelle's yoga flow created such a fluid state, dramatically reducing overall inflammation that by classes end, even as I held back and used no weights, I could tell that there was positive, recuperative healing taking place, almost like the team of healers was busy with the repair, urgently tending to the challenge, fully aware that there is an impossible deadline and zero margin for error.


We can do this. But YOU NEED TO RELAX AND LET US DO OUR THING. Go make tea.


Oh yeah, and the annual CompuTrainer Summer Sale is on. $100 off and a FREE RCV, (or full price and THREE free RCVs.) Sale ends Sept. 15.

3 comments:

FW said...

Check out this story by Jane Brody of the NY Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2015795526_personalhealthyoga02.html

KML5 said...

Great piece. I was DEFINITELY in the yoga zone by 0630. I think Michelle is amazing, we are lucky to have her. OH, and btw, can you take Saturday, Aug 13 class so I can taper properly???? Thanks

FW said...

Yes, and I like her more detailed tips too.

I can cover for you on Aug 13 at 7:30 to 9:00. Let management know.