Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sunday Outrage

Warning: If you are easily offended by reality, DO NOT watch this.



Alright, alright, it's Sunday. It is also my third attempt to blog something today that isn't offensive to anyone. YOU try it sometime and see how quickly you get to the vanilla middle of the road, deep in the bland heart of nowhere, inspiring no one, motivating few and leading all the rest to the abyss of absolute boredom.


Attempt one was a response to a legitimate question asked yesterday as to where I find all the protein to fuel my training solely from a vegetarian menu. I have tried on many an occasion to keep my reasons non-judgmental, objective and impersonal, and took this opportunity as another test. I failed. Flagged it. Almost as soon as the words meat, murder, cancer, environmental devastation, heart disease, steroids, antibiotics, ethics, morals and the deep connection we all have to the animal kingdom appeared on the page, I knew this was neither the time nor the place. I will, however, keep at it, because it is an important topic. I simply need to find a better way to relay the message. Unless you want to hear me pontificate on pain, suffering, tofu, or Matthew 25:40.


The proper answer is: Because it is not necessary.


Attempt two was on the deep sense of irony and despair that washed over me yesterday as two news stories fought for front page attention. The chances are very good that one of the Team Six Navy SEALS killed in Afghanistan on Friday was someone I knew. As I emotionally questioned the reasons why, a great photo of the Blue Angeles flying across Puget Sound appeared on-line at Seattle Times.com


I tried for 600 words to make sense of it. Failed that one too. Do you want to hear me talk about how absolutely ridiculous this scenario is? How slimy? How we have been so completely duped that half of us would rather eat cheap tainted beef, watch reality TV and not think about what Dick Cheney and his gang of immoral, unethical and criminal thugs are doing? You can see where I was going with this. And that was the soft part.


The proper response: I am outraged.


So I take to the streets. Try to blow some steam. Work on straightening out all these complex, dynamic and frustrating issues. Run some. Relax. Turn the other cheek and try my best to find a silver lining or some love. Balance.


With all of this as baggage, I go out to test the ankle. It has been ten days since I last ran and the big event is now one week away. It grades out at around 50% over 5K. I am glad I have two of them. To share the load.


I am also glad that I have animal friends and fond memories of courageous military men and women. This both motivates and inspires me. We are all in this together. Let's please share the road.


Thank you. Proper response: Sunday: Peace out.


The hysterical video: When I can tell it like it is with as much wit, charisma and satirical success as Bill Maher, I will let you know. LIke my 70.3 times, I keep working at them.

4 comments:

ej said...

what the middle way is no good, lao tzu?

KML5 said...

One would like to be grand and heroic, if one could; but if not, why try at all? One wants to be very something, very great, very heroic; or if not that, then at least very stylish and very fashionable. It is this everlasting mediocrity that bores me.

Harriet Beecher Stowe

ej said...

Egotism is nature's compensation for mediocrity. -Unknown

KML5 said...

Good one.

"All good is hard. All evil is easy. Dying, losing, cheating, and mediocrity is easy. Stay away from easy."

Scott Alexander