Tuesday, August 16, 2011

One More




OK, just one more. The absolute last post on Sunday's race. This because I am still trying to get my arms wrapped around the take away. And for the record, the context of this understanding through examination is most likely the primary reason why we race as often as we can, to prove to ourselves that we can do better, learn the lessons of the skirmish and grow. Somewhere deep inside this abstract desires manifestation. Although my hamstrings and calves are still sore, all other moving parts feel pretty good. Yesterday's HIT spin session, an easy 5K recovery run and an hour of yoga this morning has me feeling comparatively chipper. I plan on another run tonight and tomorrow is back to the HoM for the weekly Wednesday wicked spin. I am already wishing there was another race this weekend. More testing, different day.


'Cause I have things to prove. To myself. I don't need validation. I don't need any more awards, medals, cheap semi-technical garments or the adulation of my peers. I want self respect. This keeps pushing me. I want to continue to feel that with enough consistent effort, dedication, discipline and desire, I will, one day, over perform. It will all fall into place. That place known as the zone. Where EVERYTHING gels and flows. Firing on all cylinders, smooth, steady and strong. Efficient and sustainable. Powerful, fast and focused.


My best. I thought I had it Sunday. What I had was some of it. For a while. Not 70.3 miles but maybe 55.7. There were times that my situational awareness wavered. There are some technical things I can incorporate to streamline the effort. I can have a lot more respect for the swim, allow my elbow to heal and do a ton more hill repeats.


But I am not sure how the law of diminishing returns would play out. Because I like the challenge of doing those things necessary for improvement. I like the process. I like the work, day in and day out. It keeps me sane, balanced and hungry. I have great respect for those whose DNA makes it easy. They still have to go out and prove it. Yet I have even greater respect for those that have to struggle, flight, claw, suffer, agonize over details and persevere despite the glaring reality that they will never win.


And that, to me, is the most important win of all. It is in the effort, the 24/7 access to courage, the hard work, the experience and the path. Getting there.


Anyone who can honestly call an athletic performance their absolute best has already won a victory far more important than being the first one to cross the finish line.


Get to your best, and forget the rest.


Pic: The recently retired Norman Stadler wins Kona. There is nothing like winning. But there might be something better.

No comments: