Sunday, August 21, 2011

Metaphysics

Couple of nice sessions last 24 hours. Saturday's 90 minute spin is always a pleasure and this mornings 12 miler with Willow and Bob was equally as festive. We perfectly executed the game plan and finished the 12 hillier-than-thou miles with the fastest mile of the day. Gold standard training for those high-profile finishes where you need to beat the clock (or someone in your age group). Not quite the full on sprint finish but at a controlled up-tempo, this hurts, it's almost over, pace. You know what I am talking about.


Got in some work on the PO (pizza oven) and today will be the dome build. Neighbor Paul came over at sunset for the weekly inspection and we chatted about bikes (his 29er and my race 650s), Hawaii (vlog and papaya), food (pizza and geoducks), girls (what gets discussed on the deck stays on the deck, sorry), beer, aerodynamics, the aging process, neighbors and metaphysics. Maybe mostly the latter (as it connects them all). It was a most pleasant evening until I ran out of Session Black and had to spin to the Texaco station mini-mart for some Henry's. My friend the Thai (I think) owner's wife (I think) has been running in the park. We passed her last week and I encouraged her to run with us for a spell. She has a world class smile and now when I see her at the market we actually have a conversation other than one that starts and ends with, 'debit or credit?'. So last night I have the Henry's on the counter along with some (gasp) cashews, and I ask if she has been running this week. She says she runs Tuesday thru Saturday, but very slow and it seems to her, awkward. I say all you need is some practice and dedication and the speed and confidence will soon follow. She smiles and asks how long I have been running. When I tell her that I have been running since Eisenhower was in office she cocks her head trying to figure that in people years and smiles. I grab the Hanks, smile back and head for the door as she says, "You have the perfect body for running".


That was such a nice thing to say. It was so nice, in fact, that I had no response. Nothing clever, nothing belittling, nothing overtly flirtatious, nothing at all. All I could muster was a weak thank you.


The Wienhards was crisp and cold, the sunset gold. I sat and wondered until dark what I could (or should) have said. I do that a lot these days.


Metaphysics it could be simply about pizza and running.


Paul's friend's oven, finished and fired, and mine, well, getting there.



4 comments:

Willow said...

It was quite pleasant running with you and Bob today!!! I feel very blessed to have you as a friend! You inspire me to go longer, faster and stronger!! I liked the last mile push...great idea :). Thanks again.

ej said...

when a woman says that to you you're best response is "what do you mean?"

KML5 said...

Wilz, you totally rock. I am so glad that you are getting all the "little" things sorted out: Adductors, lactose intolerance, hill repeats.....I foresee great things in your racing future (as soon as they close that disco)

ej, nice, I like it. You guys are at Whistler?

ej said...

yeah, we're doing the downhill riding on the big mountain. it is interesting and a bit scary.