Monday, August 15, 2011

A tip of the cap

Following on yesterday's recap saga, I would again like to explore the process versus results concept. I will be brutally honest with you (as always) and get this out of the way early as established fact: I like results. I like to win. I like to see graphic and empirical plateaus reached after concentrated effort. I like rewards and I especially like the feeling after maximal, sustained output. The glowing satisfaction as response to quality work. Results are validation of successful process and it is always nice to ride the high harmonic frequencies of the bell shaped curve.


But that doesn't quite ring altruistic. We get caught up in the 'win at all cost' paradigm seeking victory over growth, immediate gratification over sustainability and community. Me vs You.


As witnessed yesterday the sun don't shine on the same dogs ass all the time. If your definition of self comes from results and your best effort provides less than championship caliber numbers, you have a problem. When I looked in the mirror this morning at 0430 I didn't see the face of failure, I saw the bloodshot eyes of a fighter who had gone 70.3 rounds, been beaten, and who was now getting off the canvas (asphalt) and heading back to the gym for more work. To find ways to improve, to get more answers to more questions, to keep at it, to endure, to live to fight another day. The process. That is what we do.


I tip my cap, again, to the five guys who beat me yesterday. I went as hard as I could, found a few previously untapped places with the shovel while digging, got some answers about my attitude, my intent, my values, my fitness and my soul. The fire still burns. That is why I race. Not to win every time out. Those five guys and everyone else out there yesterday made me better, they pushed me. I am bigger and stronger today as a result.


And THAT is a result I will gladly accept as part of the process.


Pic: My cap gets tipped in humility and gratitude. Thanks boys. We shall meet again.

2 comments:

Stephanie Rohl said...

Although you may not win every time out, you have to agree that winning is the goal.
You did great, and we all love your saga. You are a wonderful coach and friend!
I like results, too! Although I don't think I'm willing to do what it takes to reach max. You've got heart!

KML5 said...

The paradox fascinates me endlessly. I wish there was an easier way to get the big answers. I kinda like the drama along the way, this path filled with hope, faith, challenge, a spattering of reward, of promise and of learning. Thanks for all your positivity, poise and participation. It's been fun (queue that Carpenters song)