Saturday, August 13, 2011

Time for some Fun

The work is done. Time for some fun. There are FIVE 70.3 (Half Ironman) events this weekend. Benton Harbor (Steelhead), in the PI (Philippines), in Wiesbaden, Germany, Yeppoon, OZ, and locally up in Lake Stevens. This is the last series of races to fill the field for the 70.3 Worlds in Vegas on Sept. 11. I would like one of those slots.


To do so I will have to have a spectacular day, go approximately nine minutes faster than a month ago, hope like heck that my ankle can withstand the load, and then get an assist from someone, somewhere, somehow. Ah, the beauty of racing. You just never know. Show up ready, go hard and hope that is good enough.


Upon completion of our brick this morning, I outlined my race strategy to Sean and Chris, ending with the statement that I need to race smart. Not like an antelope out of control, but fast, focused and 100% within myself. With the left ankle tendons still mending, I cannot hammer out of saddle or push off when climbing afoot. One ill-advised move could cost me the race. And I am not going to slug out a endurance fest. I am going to race at a high level, where speed is the sole criteria for success. The comprise for power will be cadence. I will up my RPMs while simultaneously maintaing a controlled HR, thereby putting less torque, load and stress on the weak link. And hopefully traversing the distance quicker and with less physical trauma in the form of explosive power output. That is the trade. We'll see what happens. It was chilly this morning at 0700 so I expect similar tomorrow. I was hoping for some big sun, but, we'll play the dealt hand.


All that is left is the pack, ferry ride to registration, expo, some pasta and check in at the Motel 6. Looks like wake up call will be around 0400. Our wave goes at 0635.


The work is done.


Pics: The first, ahem, brick goes on the hearth for the pizza oven. Later a nice fire with the first row of bricks setting up in background. This morning's brick was a 1/13/3 run/ride/run final dress rehearsal tune up. Big BZs to the Harvey men for their participation and effort.


Time for some fun.

1 comment:

Harv said...

It was an honor & pleasure to be a part. Thank YOU for your inspiration and tutoring. Race smart, 'cause most times those gazelles get eaten. "We must run the race that lies ahead of us & never give up."