Sunday, June 29, 2014

Day 178, Race Day

I could have done better.

I made some errors. Mistakes I have made in the past and thought them behind me.

It isn't that I was unprepared, I just got rushed a little and squeezed some.

Sasha's beautiful BMW GS 850 was new, shiny, gleaming and quiet. But I was cramped a little trying to steady the Fig-Rig and its cargo, a pair of Canons (photo above). They were heavy and almost immediately I knew we were in for a long day. 112 miles worth, probably close to 5 hours.

Something had to give as I couldn't manage all four devices (two cams and two Garmin 305s) and stay steady and safe. So I tucked one Garmin in my front pocket and snapped the other to the rig where I could at least monitor one.

By mile 60 I was in agony. Back stretched, arms afire and focus fading fast.

Hold on cowboy.

By mile 80 I was toast. But I was not going to quit. Hang in there Bubba we're right around the corner, in another hour you can stand and stretch, but for right now, you need to bring your endurance game and stay present. We practice this a lot. Now is the time to put it into effect. Press the button.

By 100 I was edgy, losing patience with the way Sasha was pacing. He was asking for direction and I couldn't bridge the communication gap. He needed direction and I had nothing constructive to offer. I was tired, suffering and I needed him to get us back, not fast, but strong. I tried to yell this into the headwind but failed, twice. Finally, with a pat on his right shoulder, I managed a weak, "Doing fine, roll her in steady." And that was that.

We needed a solid finish up the ramp and into T2. A dramatic end will always lesson some of the anguish of the middle.

4:40:04 and we were back parked by the BIKE IN banner. Great job Sasha!

I have suggested it before and I will echo once again, SHOOTING an Ironman can be just as hard as DOING one.

At least I don't have to swim.

Still, I could have done better.

I will. Next time.

No comments: