Sunday, June 8, 2014

Day 157, A Silver at Blue Lake

Got to race today. First time in almost two years. I was a bit apprehensive. 'Take it Easy' was on heavy rotation upstairs, blaring a country-rock warning.

While the first nine waves starting their day I finally came up with the game plan.

Swim with great emphasis on feel. You will not win it, nor do you need to, in the water. A more factual 'no duh', possibly has never been uttered.

Bike. Do your thing. BUT…

Run. Save a little. You haven't run a 10K since last October, and that hurt a lot.

Additionally, and perhaps most importantly. DO NOT:

Get pissed because you get passed by those of your peers that are older, heavier, or of the opposite sex.

You are not here to prove anything to anybody today, other than to yourself that you can still do this, and that you receive great joy from the doing.

So please Superman, check your cape at the gate. (And should that 88 year old fat lady sing to you as she smokes you on the run - DO NOT RETALIATE!)

And so it unfolded. I had my usual horrible swim, but made it through ironically in about the same time that I normally do, despite the fact that I haven't swam since my last race, August of 2012.

My ride was OK, I passed a lot of people with minimal effort, I was riding my road bike. My left piriformis hurt but it was manageable. Lower back stiff, but nothing serious.

The run start was dicey. Took me a mile to get loose. But then I checked into cruise mode and before I knew it I was battling a 29 year old down the home-stretch on the final approach. Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.

It was just as much fun as I remembered from the last time I raced here eleven years ago.

I took a fourth that day and was in ten times better shape.

I took a second today.

Guess I shoudda gone harder. I gotta know if your sweet love is gonna save me.

Encore.

No comments: