Friday, June 27, 2014

Day 176

In 1978 I was working heavy construction on the Chief Joseph Dam in Bridgeport, Washington. Creating cheap power and irrigation for thousands. Maybe millions.

We had a rustic and heavenly 15 acres on the Methow River. It was a magical period of time.

With the exception that I was a jerk of a husband.

Long story shortened to fit this space, we sold the ranch and moved back to my wife's hometown. Which just happened to be about two miles from MY hometown.

I got to play drums in my brothers Country Rock outfit and play some softball with my college buddies, but other than that I was miserable.

So caught a one-way from LA back to Seattle on the day that Mt. St. Helens erupted, which pretty much mirrored the state of my emotions after the final separation. The marriage erupted with as much magma and ash fallout as the volcano.

But '78 was a good year.

Also the year that the inaugural Ironman was held in Hawaii. Gordon Haller won it. I would have won it with my PR had I been racing IMs instead of building dams at the time.

Ran into Fran Day and Ton Knoll today at the Challenge AC expo. These two DID the first IM. Frank is the inventor of Powercranks and Tom has written a book on that big first time event.

The photo above is the trophy from that 140.6 mile trailblaze. There are 11 in existence.

1978.

No comments: