Thursday, June 12, 2014

Day 161

Today was a recovery run. I remain stiff from Sunday's race, even though we have done several sessions since. I have lingering soreness on my left side, most likely further irritation and inflammation from my old piriformis issue. As I was running it out, a thought popped up between footstrikes like a tom-tom fill. Yes I was running to the beat of my own drummer again.

Went something like this:

What am I an expert at?

Swimming? HA.
Biking? I know a little but I am no expert.
Running? Well, I am doing it right now, so what defines expertise more than actually performing the act in the hope of improvement? (splash cymbal)
Training? Hummm, maybe. If my theories are correct the most important components are consistency, dedication and discipline. I score very high on those.
Nutrition? It is an on-going experiment.
Hydration? See above. (roto toms)

I decided to skip the areas not related to training and testing to spare myself unnecessary flagellation.

So what then? Is there something in which I have attained expert status?

Yes.

I am an expert at happiness. I know what it is, I know what it takes, I know what it isn't and I know where it is found.

I will settle for being a Jack of all Trades on all of the above to be a Master of Happiness.

The timpani roll sounds like thunder.

No comments: