Monday, June 16, 2014

Day 165



Dunno, maybe this is weird, or maybe just coincidence. I am reading two books at once, and they couldn't be more opposite. Try these out for size:

Elmore Leonard's Tishomingo Blues against Patrick O'Brian's Post Captain.

Its like Chili Palmer meets Captain Jack Aubrey in Biloxi on Fat Tuesday.

Somebody is goin' down.

Maybe because there ain't room enough in this one-horse brain for the two of 'em (us).

Here is my take: The seedier the characters (Leonard wins hands down) the easier the read. The more character the protagonists bring to the story the more detail we get (O'Brian is master & commander here).

I remain torn between the two worlds.

I like down & dirty. I also like the microscopic inspection of motivation and movement. What makes them tick?

Or is it all about the story?

Dunno.

No comments: