Sunday, June 1, 2014

Day 150, Cheers!

Holy Macaroni. It is June 1. Worse (glass half empty) it is 2014.

I woke up this morning with a few not-so-gentle reminders that the above metrics officially label me 'old'. As in able to collect some Social Security, get breakfast discounts at Denny's (nothing more than a reduction in portion) and a small price reduction on ferry fares. Where I have been rehearsing my pitiful announcement to the gate attendant with a concise, 'One senior to Bainbridge please'.

Gas is back to $4/gal. America is numb. Fifty bucks to fill the tank? For freedom? The price we pay to get to and from the job? To take the kids to the beach on Saturday, and to lacrosse practice after school?

Or because we have grown accustomed to the convenience?

Or because we have are conditioned?

Because it is just too easy to hop in the Toyota (nice try UAW to get us to buy American crap) and speed to the Safeway for more Diet Pepsi?

The hypocrisy of this I have not lost in the jungle of my psyche. I know i should ride my bike more. I drove 100 miles yesterday to ride up a hill, have my picture snapped by two Japanese tourists wearing UConn t-shirts, and free-fall back down. I get 20 per, so that joyous jaunt cost me sixteen ducks. Not to mention the food and the frothy reward. An expensive way to have some good, clean fun. Don't make me compare, please. And since I am rambling FU Steve Balmer and Doug Baldwin.

But I am old and now taking Warfarin, so I probably should be heeding the advice of Ryan in the Anticoagulation unit, who told me Friday to be sure to wear my helmet when I ride so I won't bleed to death should I crash. I actually thought about that as I hit 40mph.

I suppose I should be happy that today is June1. We are heading out for another ride in 90 minutes. There is a little cloud cover today, but no rain, so far.

The plan is to jam as much fun into the reaming time as possible. To raise the water line above half-full.

To the rim. Cheers!

No comments: