Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Day 132

Test and train as if they were chocolates.

I am "officially" back to running. Thank the Lord. My initial jaunt on the new home course hurt very much. Any change in elevation sent immediate ripples of panic to my legs and lungs. Like slugging out the last few clicks of of Ironman, but this was a lowly 5K. OMG, the loss of power. Remember when we used to pull off 12% hill repeats? Run trails with gazelle-like acumen?

Gone.

For now.

We know the way back. Its protocol, requiring patience and persistence, calls for one step at a time.

Makes no difference how far or how fast. What matters is that it gets done with regularity. As in every other day. Even yesterday's repeat ( I added stairs, ramp and floating dock to the turnaround) timed out just a few seconds slower than the first. Signs of progress in only two trips! Yes!

I even slept last night, something that has eluded me post-session since the onset of this mysterious whatever it is cardio-malady of now almost 16 months and counting.

The head scratching comes from the fact that cycling has no effect on sleep, but when I run, whoa baby, the heart tremors and irregularities shake me out of REM like a Waring blender filled with marbles. Not fun and kinda scary. You wonder why I curtailed running? It has been five months. No wonder my power escaped like a thief in the night.

But I am back, immensely motivated by these first two puny runs. We can build from here. Where we stop nobody knows.

You got my back Forrest?

No comments: