Saturday, May 3, 2014

Day 121 by George

Another long day. In a series of long days. My brain must be running a little hot and sludgy as I made a costly mistake sometime over the last few days.

I lost the only key to my truck.

The gal at the locksmith shop that cut the initial key when I traded for the Ranger said I would be out 5-6 large for another, assuming I could get a copy of title and a fax of my drivers license to her in Port Orchard by 5pm.

Right.

So I am out of wheels till Monday, when the emergency weekend fees are no longer applicable and I, as registered owner, can conduct legitimate business in a less than stressful code red situation.

I found about the missing key this morning at 0400 as I was doing last minute prep for today's shoot. The room got turned upside down as did the little Ford rental car. No luck. After the race I even backtracked to the last three places I visited, as well as the Days Inn in Vegas where, as you recall, I stayed Wednesday night after all the delays. No luck anywhere.

So I am paying, will pay, for being a dummy. I lost my key. My serious and stupid bad. How did that little fucker pop out of my pocket?

Small price, minor inconvenience. I was somewhat proud of myself for keeping MIB (Mind in Boat) for the 56 miles I sat behind Larry on his beautiful, if a touch bumpy, Harley. Every time I would think abut what a complete dolt I am, something brought me back to the task at hand. Focus, remember!

So I stopped in the Valley of Fire on the way home to remind my soul of Hayduke. Fox RAC seemed a bit more professional, but I will never return there. Wow, did I say NEVER?????

As I now sit in Vegas waiting for the redeye home, I wonder where my key is at this very moment. And what it is thinking.

No comments: