Saturday, May 10, 2014

Day 128

I must have failed. There were snickers in the back row - and not the kind that you ram near bonking. Oh well, I tried.

Tried again to bring wisdom from another genera to the paradigm of testing and training indoors, on a bike.

I was reminded (because it was my tenth read) of the metaphor that exists between nearly every high art and what we do in the saddle. The tenth read was of Stanley Fish's seminal work, "How to Write a Sentence." Seriously, I have read it ten times.

So I tried to parlay some of his expertise into our killer 90 minute session this morning.

I tried the short imperative clause:

Move your feet.
Breathe and relax.
Get it done.

I tried to set the challenge tone by reminding the assembled spinners that we try relentlessly to perform a certain skill at a very high level.

Then, and this is where I missed, I mentioned the 'best sentence ever' website and how I had submitted an entry.

Pause.

Hillclimb.

Rolling Stones.

I told them mine:

"He never saw it coming."

Snickers.



Photo used completely without permission of Mars, Inc. who's website informs me that Snickers, nee Marathon Bar, was introduced to the UK in 1930.



No comments: