Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Salt




Open wound, pour salt. Ouch.

The results are final. Our illustrious age group ended the day with two Kona slots, this first going to Murray Macpherson of Calgary, the overall winner, and deserving of the honor as a result of his stunning 10:47, and second place finisher Mark Strong, from Irvine, CA., who clocked an equally terrific 11:32. And while not up to the intricate and detailed statistical recap ala Runtri.com, a quick analysis shows their finishing differential to be a whopping 45 minutes. Give or take, plus or minus. You will remember that my predicted estimated time was 10:50.

Meaning, in that pathetically ironic and comical way that now seems to be the norm, that I could have gone 40 minutes slower than my target and qualified. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

As I wrap the wound and prepare to regroup and attempt a redirect assault on the target (compete in Kona, KQ, do the big dance, race at the World Championships), it seems that there are two important lessons here. I will share them with you. 

One. When we talk about the journey being a road, a process, we never really know what will take place along it. Nor do we know how long it will take, or the tax upon our abilities, resources and stamina. As often as I cite the need to enjoy the ride, to make the road the goal and to keep in the present moment, sometimes, the odds, circumstances or challenges are can overwhelm. 

Two: The only way that we really lose is to quit. To toss the towel, to admit to the insurmountable of the task and take the easy, downhill path back home. There we can sit and watch on the big screen others doing what we refused to try. 

I would rather have two tons of sodium dumped into my open veins. 

Once again, my sincere congratulations on fine performances to locals, Bob and Kerry, and to the two gentlemen whom I hope to meet in Kona in six weeks, representing our illustrious group Murray and Mark. 

They will be racing. And I will work. Pass the salt. 

No comments: