Monday, December 12, 2011

Nothing but

The idea being that whatever strengthens the weak will impact the strong, thereby creating more balance and sustainability. We need only go back as far as Achilles to see the beauty in this. That old bad-ass bully Goliath? Brought down by a shepard boy and a single pebble. Everybody has a weakness. The secret is to find it and either improve it or exploit it. Depending, of course, on the subject. It it us (me) or you (them).


In our training, especially if you are a multi-sport enthusiast, or tri-geek as we used to say, this is an important point as we cross train for two reasons, 1) The allow one muscle group to rest while working the others, and 2) your weakness could mean your demise if not properly addressed. The Queen K is lined with strong riders who melt on the run just as IMs are not won in the water.


Let's chop that up a little and focus on the bike, arguably* the most important leg of triathlons trio. We have:


1) Speed

2) Power

3) Endurance

4) Explosive power

5) Climbing

6) Pacing

7) Nutrition/hydration


Of those seven, which is your weakest? Be honest. I would love to say number three, endurance, so I could simply ride at a low heart rate logging mile after boring mile waiting for the day that a century feels easy. That we now refer to as old school base. And unnecessary if you have been riding your bike as long as most of us around here, minimum of, say two and a half decades. Most, then, will answer power, or speed, or explosive power. And they would be right.


Work on your power and by default your speed and endurance is improved. I am quite confident that explosive power max-outs will become a fearless co-pilot when climbing out of the saddle, pacing a billy goat up some brutal hill, with or without sufficient carbs in the tank.


So let's cut to the chase. Something has to change. Personally, while I am happy to be able to compete and finish the Ironman distance, AG top ten isn't good enough anymore. I need to win. Therefor my training needs to reflect that goal, it needs to change and I must accept the new challenge. I need more power. To do that I add frequency and intensity in 60-90 minute blocks. If I can maintain high output for this duration, I will be able to go the 112 (and subsequent 26.2) easier and (hopefully) faster. Learning the lessons of races past, this means that the better my bike fitness, the faster my bike time AND MORE OCTANE STILL IN THE TANK FOR THE RUN.


So we do high-intensity intervals. Lot's of them. And a TT. Because science doesn't embellish. Data no lie. You either have the gas or you don't.


Train your weakness and race your strength. Changing a part of the whole changes the whole. And that, my friends,


is the whole truth. Nothing but.


*It isn't much of one though.


Pic: The world famous House of Mirth Saturday night after a 90 minute spin on the Queen K. If She doesn't kill ya, you'll ride stronger as result.

No comments: