Wednesday, December 28, 2011

2011: Let's Play


A couple a three days left in this exciting 2011 of ours. We almost got it folks. I think we done some good. Maybe, kinda, sorta. I have been processing the data download from a new project that has my serious attention. Because it fascinates me no end. I'll give you the premise and maybe together we can draw some conclusions. Expand the scope, see to the needs of the many.


Which we need to do. I have faith, trust, respect and total admiration for you. YOU reading this, one of the 400 who come here daily to find, what? Entertainment, diversion, satire, or……could it be some tepid form of inspiration and/or motivation?


That is the premise. Framing the question is simple: How do we motivate ourselves and others? What forms of inspiration get us started or keeps us going?


Personally I know what fills my motivational sails. I race. I love racing. It provides me with instant empirical feedback and rewards far beyond those of a T-shirt, medal and ten seconds of glory on some makeshift podium. It is also my inspiration, because everything I do (or don't do, or do too much) is somehow connected to this end. I am also a self motivator. I am inspired easily. I can get out the door.


But there are others who can't, who won't, and they need our support. BIG TIME.


So what do I have to do? I have tried every extrinsic trick in the book, from schwag to cash, carrots to brass rings to get the butts of the sedentary saddled up. I have extolled the myriad virtues of intrinsic mojo ad nauseam often ending with the horses stooped at the water, but not taking a refreshing swig. What separates YOU from THEM? Is is because you understand the value and necessity, the literal life and death nature of all this, and they don't? What motivated YOU. What inspires YOU?


What keeps you coming back? What do you know that I need to know? What tips can I pass along to that demographic that is one step from starting, one supporting show of accountability away from walking in and making perhaps the most important decision in their lives? One challenge. One goal. One dream. One life.


You get ONE SHOT at this. One chance at today. Do you realize that thousands of people die every day because they don't take that first step? It gets harder as it appears more overwhelming. Ten pounds is a heck of a lot easier to lose than fifty. And the day after tomorrow might be too late. Tomorrow even.


It needs to happen NOW. I don't care what you are doing NOTHING is more important that your health and fitness. That means quality of life.


And we accomplish that mission by taking immediate baby steps towards the goal. Relentlessly. I know that and YOU know that. The challenge is to get THEM to know it, too.


The word is Arabic, it means, "to breath life into." Inspire. I think if one is truly inspired that the resulting (brass ring) quality of that life will be motivational for others.


I surely hope so. I have a lot at stake. Let's Play.

4 comments:

Willow said...

My motivation: the love/passion for the sport. Nothing compares to pounding the pavement, exhausting my quads and lungs and simultaneously inhaling fresh air. It's my desire to be the best I can be. Sometimes hard?? YES! Worth it?? EVERYTIME. There has never been an instance where I have returned from a difficult run/bike etc and thought....wow, I shouldn't have done that! It wasn't worth it. On the contrary, I can't stop talking about how great it was!
Inspiring others: leading by example. The best we can do is consistently show up and be ready to go, with a good attitude. Others will notice how beneficial it is and hopefully want it for themselves. Also, encouraging others of the values of health and fitness (as you mentioned) is crucial (without annoying or nagging them, I guess)! Anyway, these are some of my thoughts. I'll stop writing a novel now!

KML5 said...

Willow, you can use this forum for your novel any time!!! I very much appreciate your thoughts and totally agree. We need to find a way to bottle that 'finish feeling' and use it to get others started. I like the part about the annoy 'n nag - know all about it!!

ej said...

KL, what an excellent video, comprehensive capture and the music is perfect for 2011. Nice!

Now, what motivates me is other people, especially like yourself (ahhmmm, I think they broke that mold) to be able to push through and encourage others to improve and think (despite our BAD weather here). Thanks, it is an honor to be able to call you friend. I also have a fitness goal in mind but it is audacious (and will cure that bloated look I have in the video. :)

KML5 said...

That bloated look we commonly call beer after the ride. It gets much worse when there is no ride!!!! Thanks for the kind words, I wish I would have had another week on the video.