Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Deadlines

Have I ever told you how much I like deadlines? The thrill, challenge, drama of the no ifs, ands or butts assignment. It has to be done by X. We had a motto when I was MWR Director for NSF DG, "Doing the Impossible Daily." My staff, handpicked and well trained, would respond convincingly whenever I called a DID emergency meeting, which was, interestingly, every 24 hours or so. We got used to it and relished the opportunity to see what we were capable of doing, more often than not sans budget, resources or personnel. Hitting the ground running took on a whole new meaning. I also appreciated the tension involved with media deadlines. Having spent a decade in print and another in film/video/broadcast I know what happens behind the scenes as craftsmen work against the clock, walking the tightwire of high art as minutes fly past. It is not for the faint of heart. The cliche 'fast and furious' comes to mind. Often you don't get a second chance.


So I must be brief today as I have self assigned another deadline. Saturday at 1630 I need to deliver a 90 minute retrospective of my time in Kona. That is four working days, about 100 hours. Rather slim margin for error when one factors in ten spin classes, five runs, some time to prepare meals and a little sleep. But we are off to a good start as I down loaded almost five hours of library video last night, even rendering some archival footage from 2000-2005. Saw some old and familiar faces, the nostalgia creating additional motivation and several grins.


I have no idea how it will all come together, but one thing I do know: Come together it will. And by Saturday at 1630! We are shooting some live sequences this morning and then the time line assemble start. What music ends up as score is a mystery, probably everything from IZ to ZZ. Let's get after it.


This morning in our boutique fitness center at Avalara we conducted a 55 minute TT, the goal to ride as many miles in that time as possible. I was pleased with my 32.5*. I tip my cap to the Avalara brass who have the corporate foresight to ensure employee fitness and optimum productivity through a company sponsored exercise program.


Also, here are the some relevant links regarding topics we have been discussing,


The GOMBBS diet by Dr. Furhman

Hemp Protein

Anti Whey report


As you might have already deduced, I am starting a thirty day test of the hemp protein effective today. You might call it hitting the ground spinning.


Deadlines exist in many forms.


* The Keiser M3 is to CompuTrainer accuracy about like what I am to Lance.


Pix: The Avalara spin center, where truth is found every Tuesday and Thursday.

No comments: