Friday, December 9, 2011

Current data

Who am I today?


Somebody who does what everybody else does?

Somebody who waits around for things to happen?

Somebody who feels entitled to a good job, a nice house and a pension?

Somebody who thinks that what we see is what we get?

Somebody who questions authority?

Somebody who is unreasonably happy?

Somebody on a mission?

Somebody "current".


All this talk, research and dialogue about power-to-weight ratio has left me touch leg weary. (Or maybe it was yesterdays three one hour spins, dunno), regardless, here is more data flow for the more curious of you. Covering, mind you, the gamut of possibilities, from the comical, to the informative, the useful, the inspirational and finally to the personal. The latter is a beautifully written introspection on body image by a female Pro Cyclist. I am subliminally attracted to prose written in the brutally honest tense, and this one did the trick like a moth before the flame. Please check it out.


To reiterate, I consider myself one lucky guy. To be on this mission. This quest over which I am, perhaps, as passionate as one can get. To illustrate this once more, this morning was my second day using hemp protein as a dietary supplement. Yesterday I took in a personal record 110 grams of protein to fuel, build, power and recover from the aforementioned high-intensity spin sessions. Of course there was the obligatory fat and carbohydrate, but the emphasis was on the BIG P. The mission yesterday was to up the volume of training (X3) to test both endurance and up ptw. If, in that process I get a little leaner, more, ahem, power to me. That is the current goal, this leg of the path, this part of the mission, to increase my ptw ratio. Because come August 28 in Penticton, I will need every watt I can muster, and then some.


Correspondingly, I recognize the importance of the road, the journey and the role that passion plays. In the same way that we no longer call training pain but mirth, I find this to be a fascinating adventure, a discovery of self, a constant test of my resolve, dedication and character. UNDER WHAT CONDITIONS WILL I BREAK TODAY? The stronger I get (power) the longer I can last (endurance). There is nothing like a marathon or IM to test your ability to stay forced on the task at hand. You can give in to pain, self doubt or weakness anytime you like.


We have a saying in long course triathlon (Ironman): You can quit racing any time, just don't stop.


Today I am on a mission. That means the morning off, a bowl of protein rich oatmeal with fruit and walnuts and a 10 mile TT at 1630.


At which time a particular number, in ratio form, will be revealed to me as "current".


Pic is from last year's Mt. Washington Hill Climb. You had better have some serious ptw for the last 22% grade.

4 comments:

ej said...

nice motivational post. I especially like the question authority part.

KML5 said...

Check out the comical link, pretty hilarious. Here is my approach: Question until you are satisfied, then either get on the bus, or walk!

ej said...

ha, "i mean this in the nicest way but you are fucking nuts." I have to come back to that as it is 7 plus minutes!

ej said...

"i know that you are too thin because I could take you out back and beat the living crap out of you." See, I don't have to worry about any of my lady friends berating me like this; plump can look tough...