Monday, October 24, 2011

Suffer Large

"There isn't any method or formula, you learn to love by loving." Aldous Huxley.


"If you judge people you have no time to love them." Mother Teresa.


"There is no remedy for love, but to love more." Henry David Thorerau.


"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin


"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Ibid


Per our discussion, or more accurately my soliloquy, this morning, a theme emerged, much as the bud referenced by Ms Nin above, blossomed. Started out with the usual warm up, a gentle reminder of the need for preparation, we rapidly switched gears to the first challenge of the week with a mind-body interlace. The theme/thought/interlace was this:


Your ability to embrace suffering is proportional to your ability to love and receive joy.


The Kings of Leon were cranking Crawl. My lungs were burning and my lower left side from hip to knee was engulfed in the flames of yesterdays run, fanned and fueled by and the present moments output. There was suffering.


And then it was over. Four minutes and six seconds of suffering. And now some three hours later, I bask in the post-effort glow of high-intensity endorphin flow and advanced metabolic function. In other words, that suffering has enabled this love. That low has created this high. That effort, this reward, that work, this result.


I was reminded of the validity of this yesterday as I tried to hang with Bob on the last six miles of our fifteen. Coming off the weakness and relapse recovery of last week, it had been a long time since I hammered a 15. At 10 I wanted to call it a day, cite knee fluid, the virus, the need to take to slow. But I wanted a report card. I wanted some new and accurate data. I wanted to look in the mirror, the tidal basin of my soul, and see what or who reflected back.


One foot-strike after another. Keep your focus, make it efficient. Let it go, relax and stay present. Embrace the suffering BECAUSE IN PENTICTON THIS PAIN WILL BE MAGNIFIED A THOUSAND PERCENT. Better get used to it Alice, HTFU lambchop.


And a funny thing happened. It wasn't pain or suffering anymore. It was simply something I had to do, part of the plan, an integral component, practice, me being me. I saw the calm water in the tidal basin reflect back a smiling facade transcendent and triumphant. The passage of time had allowed a proving ground of will, understanding, cause and effect. Suddenly I became aware of my speed, I was flying, second wind engaged, no pain, no suffering, no fear. And then it was over. Two hours and ten minutes. Warm up, advance, suffer, endure, transcend, finish, grow.


Our ability to embrace suffering is directly proportional to our ability to love and receive joy.


We must have dialed up the hurt factor this morning 'cause all I hear now is Paul Simon singing' "Life. I love you, feeling groovy."


Have a joyous day my friends. You earned it.


Above quotes from a marvelous little work by Arthur Jeon titled, Sex, Love and Dharma.


Pix: The final few steps on Alii Dr., Kona, Hawaii. Miles to smiles.

No comments: