Monday, October 3, 2011

Kona One

Touchdown. Kona under overcast. Good to be back. We have a great house up on Henry Street with a monster view to the North and a pool. We have already established a swim competition for tomorrow in the 8 meter pool. I should actually do OK at that distance. Simon is off doing a night dive, Chuck and Nat are heading out to the movies and Roger, Phil and I are torching the grill for a deck BBQ. Work starts tomorrow at 1000 with a group meet and brief prior to expo set up. The hill we are on is perfect for repeats of which I planned on ten tonight but got sidetracked by an impromptu marketing meeting, a trip to Safeway and two Red Stripes.


On the trip over I did some math. Here is the plan. I need to gain 10% bike speed in eleven months. My best IM saddle time is 5:36. With ten percent increase that would be a 5:03. On the run, my PR of 4:00 would become a 3:36 with a ten percent improvement. BOTH would mean a 10:15 with the usual flounder-like swim and a handful of minutes for transition. I am shopping it around to gain comments. So far Phil and Simon think it is doable and Roger thinks I am a geek for even trying. At this point I need a game plan, structure and motivation. An unreasonable, or even impossible plan will keep me thinking I can do it until proven wrong, a strategy I have always liked.


Off to the kitchen to steam asparagus and spinach as the boys sizzle pork. Kona Day One.


Pix: Our pool, site of upcoming aqua-fest. Alaska #865 was an Ironman Special as the pink calf compression socks attest. The obligatory gecko welcoming committee.

3 comments:

ej said...

right, like the pink compression socks were obvious

KML5 said...

I was going to photoshop a circle or arrow but I decided against the overkill.

ej said...

that what she said