Friday, October 14, 2011

Remember the FUN




I have been following a story out of Kona last week about a guy who, both allegedly and later admittedly, cut the course and then boasted about his finish time. Obviously this is troubling on any number of fronts. The tri-geek peanut gallery is up in arms over a guy cheating on the hallowed proving grounds of the Triathlon World Championships. Shoot first and ask questions later, burn 'em at the stake and git a rope kinda stuff. And while I personally feel his actions reprehensible, unsportsman-like and totally uncool, I also feel there is another side of the story we might fail to appreciate.


You have heard me comment on many an occasion of the costs involved with our wonderful sport, most recently demonstrated by my $702 entry to 2012 Ironman Canada. That is going to be an expensive day in Penticton, as upon KQ (Kona Qualify) one must pay that entry on the spot. Let's do some quick math:


IMC entry fee: $702

Travel expense to/from (five days): $1000

Gear: $750 (does not include new bike)

Kona entry fee: $750

Kona travel expense: $1500 (I have a few perks)

Misc: $500


TOTAL: $4,450


And while that amount may seem trifling to the average IM participant who boasts income of $150K+ (taken from WTC polls), it is a lot to this (self-employed) age grouper.


Here is my take: I want my money's worth in both experience, challenge and competition. I insist that if I am laying down that amount of cabbage that the race be fair, on a level field, and with adequate security and safeguards against somebody beating my slow arse because they ran a shorter distance. If that person was to take MY podium spot I would call my cousin Vito in Sicily, pronto.


Above and beyond these two minor examples of money and fair play is what I call the big picture. The big picture is this: If you are not a Pro triathlete racing for prize money or sponsorship, THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN. First and foremost. Yes, there is competition, hard work, expense, commitment, anguish, sacrifice and ego, but fun is the heart of the matter, the goal and the reason. Winning (especially at all costs) is a false god. Winning is NOT the only thing, matter of fact it is NOTHING.


I cannot think of a more perfect example with which to illustrate one of my favorite messages than the recent Kona incident. Once again:


I would rather run a clean race, do my best, give all and finish second, than

win doing anything other.


Remember the fun.


Pix: Alaska Air fun-loving tail logo. The gods of Kona frown on cheaters. Simon (left) and Phil draw up my training plan for 2012 on a cocktail napkin at Jacki Rey's Ohana Grill. Fun stuff.

5 comments:

Stephanie Rohl said...

The scoundrel should be DQd, his shirt and medal confiscated, and he should be banned from the sport! However, hopefully the inner anguish he will carry with him for the rest of his life will be punishment enough.

KML5 said...

As the rules now stand, THAT penalty would be more severe than getting busted for PEDs! Begging the question: Is cheating worse than doping?

Stephanie Rohl said...

Doping is cheating. Cheating is cheating.

KML5 said...

Doping currently carries a two year ban and mandatory testing. Cutting the IM course would be life without parole? I am not condoning, merely observing. Truth be known, I am FOR capitol punishment in this example, but if we are to go to that extreme, it needs to be for both offenses, not one or the other. Zero tolerance for cheating of any flavor. Having said that, I now kinda feel sorry for the poor slob.

ej said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_Ruiz