Friday, October 28, 2011

Not Available at Amazon.com

Two quick stories before I head over to the club to test the Baker Hill TT.


Yesterday as I prepped for the 0845 class, I mentioned to a gal setting up near the front of the room that the minute she committed to this as a long-term healthy lifestyle choice she would need a pair of cycling shoes. Not because I was concerned for her fashion needs, more because they afford better sole stability and efficiency on the upstroke. I guess I used some dramatic metaphors because when I finished what I felt was a thorough explanation she looked at me and said, "And a 'hi how are ya' might work here, too". Oh. OK. "Didn't mean to be rude, we are just running out of time and I wanted to let you know how important I think this is". To which she replied, "I have been training upstairs for FOUR MONTHS getting ready for your class, and here we are and you are telling me I need new shoes". Really? Yes. Wow. OK then. Let's do what we can today and worry about the shoes tomorrow, fair? Fair. Four months? Yes. GOOD TO SEE YOU AND WELCOME.


Story number two.


After class, and another round of conversation, apologies and bonding, we got set up for a CT TT. This one a ten miler with some nice rollers, challenging but not obnoxious. With hints of oak, raspberry and sweat. Our test subject had sent an E earlier saying she wasn't 100% but wanted to go anyway. I tried to dissuade. Unsuccessful, we got on with it. After a mile she looked at me, pale and profuse and asked if there was a bucket handy. Serious? I asked. A bucket NOW or a mop later, your call Jack. I pleaded early termination of the course. Another time when gut isn't about to spew. No way, get the bucket. OK. She hammered out a 2.0 ptw with plastic-lined waste basket at the ready. Which I almost used watching (I know the feeling).


Two stories. One of determination, one of courage.


I am off to test the BH TT and administer the BAC15 to John. Big 90 spin tomorrow and Sunday I hope to get in another 15 run with Bob if my knee stays put.


I wish I could get a box determination and a pound of courage at Amazon.com.


Pix: Yasuyo before the bucket. ContourGPS cam-mount atop Bluey.

2 comments:

FW said...

That would be a suitcase of courage if Phil or Paul were commenting.

KML5 said...

Exactly the size I am looking for, indeed! Maybe at Overstock.com