Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Hard Work

I am so glad it's almost over. This nasty sore throat and congestion bug I have been wrestling with since the flight back from Kona. Seven lost days. Misery and gloom. Feeling vitality and energy as distant dreams, long gone, lost and forgotten. To quote popular vernacular, this sucks. But after another handful of echinacea, half a orchard's worth of vitamin C and a cup of steaming Gypsy Cold Care Herbal Tea, I think the corner has been turned.


As a result, I now have the opportunity to put into play one of my favorite axioms, that of not trying to get it all back in one session. The 'it' being the point on the physical fitness timeline immediately prior to the capture of the infamous infidel illness. One step back, two steps forward. Have a little faith in me, brother. Take it slow, bro.


I will take another full day to further recover, starting back up tomorrow. Interestingly enough, this down time has also allowed my tweaky left MCL to heal as well. Connected? Chicken and egg? Circumstance and coincidence? Hummmmm.


Taking advantage of the time spent indoors typing instead of out running or riding, a few items of interest have surfaced. First is the reality of my sloppy time management. There is so much to be done, and although I feel like I am always busy, that effort does not always produce results. Hence the idea that,


Working hard is good. But getting things done is better.


I have had the opportunity the last few days to examine this and guess what I found? I have habitually chosen Face Book over brick laying, Husky Football Blog over roof repair and Slowtwitch.com over video editing. If I could manage just these three, limit them to reasonable terms and get after the three in need, it would mean hard work AND things getting done. Better.


I had to get sick and stare into the fire with a runaway nose to figure this out? So let us do this dear VBA, today let us look at what we do with our most precious gift, that of our time together, and see how we might refine, streamline or improve. Take working hard to getting things done.


One more hour of sleep tonight will get our 0530 spin session done tomorrow. And I promise I will not ask of your or I to get it all back at once. Working hard is good. Let's get it done.


Pic is of the beta test last night of the new Contour GPS helmet cam. The road beckons, as goal.

No comments: