Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Limbo



I have no problem climbing out on the limb. I find the danger and risk exhilarating. I like it also because that is where the best views are. If you really want to see where your are and what surrounds you, you have to move away from the safety and security of the trunk. Out where the wind blows and the rains fall.


I went out on the limb again this morning. Fueled by the inspiration of the world championship awards ceremony last night, the speech, the tears, the goosebump highlight video and the serene calm and composure of the athletes themselves, I felt the need today to explore my motivation. To compare it to the best of the best. And what I found out on that limb was this: I underestimate my confidence and I discount my experience. These are two vital areas necessary to compete at this tree height (as measured by competitive level.) And this needs to stop, immediately, if not sooner.


Fortunately, it has. In this morning's blog post I, rather boldly, make the prediction that not only would I GET to Kona, via Ironman Canada, but once here I would go fast enough to finish top five and make a triumphant walk to the stage and graciously accept the umeke bowl as one of the five fastest triathletes in the world in my age standard.


I know that some of you might call that the ravings of a cocky bastard or an arrogant lunatic. So please accept my explanation that this is not a boast or a brag, but a tool that I will use to keep focus on high for the next ten months in training. To bring to forefront when moral is low, or mojo missing. I will recall this when things get tough. When the chilly northwest winds blow in the darkness as a 10K unwinds, or the rain puddles inside my biking shoes. Or when I just don't feel much like swimming another 1,000 meters. I will remember the confidence and experience that says this: DO NOT QUIT. THUS YOU WILL SUCCEED. THIS MUST BE DONE IF YOU TRULY DESIRE TO BE A CHAMPION.


It is always exciting to be influenced by others, to be inspired by words and deeds. It is another thing altogether to allow yourself the confidence to do it solo. To discard the doubts, remove the negatives and simply do what must be done, out there and alone.


The goals I have set are lofty. I might fail. There is risk and inherent danger. I will need every bit of support, guidance, partnership and empathy I can find along the way. I need to motivate myself relentlessly. I need confidence to match my experience.


I will do this.


Ironman Canada qualify sub eleven.

Ironman Hawaii. Top five. 11:09


I like the view from out here. In limbo, between the decision and the do.


Pix: Andre Kajlich, center, shows off his umeke for his stunning second place finish in the PC group. The Big Banyon tree on Alii Dr. is about 100 meters from the finish line. Pick a limb and get out there.

No comments: