Sunday, July 31, 2011

Lake Stevens Recon Report



Recon debrief: The new Lake Stevens 70.3 one-loop course is a killer. As many of you know, since its inception into the 70.3 family, it has been a two-loop bike leg. And those two laps around Snohomish County were relentless in their rolliness. While I am not 100% sure that rolliness is a word, I AM 100% sure they presented a race day challenge not soon forgotten. I am also sure you know what I mean when I invoke that word (or non-word.) Not quite climbs, and no signature grades but a constant laughing roller-coaster with a few screaming technical descents and the always present and irritated locals to make it interesting. You need to keep your eyes open (and ears closed.) That was then.


This is now: More rolliness up to Granite Falls and down to (almost) Monroe. The popcorn machine is back in vogue. Up ya go, down ya fall, repeat for 56 miles. Everyone on this planet knows I prefer a one-loop course to two or, gasp, three, and this one is no exception. For the first thirty miles of our drizzled-out scouting ride this morning I was thinking, "I like the change," but by mile forty it was more, "I think I like the change," and by fifty, "The old course was fine." By the time we circumnavigated 60 miles (we went off course once) I was ready for blueberry pancakes. A double-tall stack, with extra compote, please.


The intel take-away: With a puny thirteen days prior to dance day, there isn't too much positive you can do to prepare for this somewhat intimidating scenario. Either you can climb TODAY, or you can't. Adding a two week hammer fest will only give you tired legs come 8.14. But what you CAN do is this:


1) Make sure you have a solid nutrition plan in place.

2) Take the first twenty miles a touch slower than what you feel you could do.

3) Keep a steady and efficient HR.

4) Hydrate often in addition to your electrolyte replacement beverage.

5) Pay attention and keep a vigilant focus.

6) Make sure your bike is in PERFECT condition prior to racking it Saturday night.

7) Pick and choose your hammer spots and race your strength.

8) Make sure you leave enough in the tank for a snappy 13.1.


There is eight you can add to the constants of racing happy and carpe diem. I trust that whatever contractor is repairing the washout pictured above on the Robe Menzel Rd near G. Falls gets it done by race day, otherwise we'll be doing a little early season cross. (Or going back to the old course.)


It was a great training ride, Bob is in outstanding shape and riding RSVP next week as his final tune up. Race day should be an interesting test. Hope we get some sun to go with all that rolliness.


Pix: Bob and Phoenix Red at the giant hole in the road. Afterwards it appeared that not even IHOP blueberry pancakes could fill that hole.

6 comments:

Tri4aCause said...

Hi! Thanks for your report. I am questioning what bike to use on this course. I have 50/34 compact crank gearing on my road bike, and a 54/39 standard crank on my TT bike. I am definitely a better climber and descender on my road bike, and with more gearing available I am leaning toward the road bike. But I normally do my races on my TT bike. If you had the choice, what would you ride? Also I am from Arizona, so not as many hills here! Thanks a lot.

KML5 said...

Hi, and thanks. Can I ask two questions to better attempt to assist with your ride selection?

1) Are you a strong runner?
2) Are you in the Q hunt for Vegas, or looking to PR or win AG?

If you answer yes to both, ride your TT. If yes to one, ride your TT, if no to both, ride your road bike. Does that make some sense? Additionally, if you have more skill and confidence on your road bike, this course would favor that, it is deceptively technical.

I am very much looking forward to race day, this new config is going to make it exciting. Thanks again for your comments and whatever you end up riding, may it be fast and fun.

Tri4aCause said...

Hi! I am not a strong runner, have no goals of Vegas, or winning AG and it is my first 70.3. I have done a lot of climbing on my road bike and little on my TT bike. Technically speaking I am def more comfortable on the road bike.
If you see a blond girl with a Tri Scottsdale Jersey riding a white Wilier please say hi! Thanks for you input and pre ride blog! I put Lake Stevens on Google Alert which was how I found your blog.
Have a great race!

KML5 said...

I highly suggest you ride your beautiful white Wilier (I looked at your blog-nice work!) Now it gets fun. I am seriously looking at doing IM AZ next year (as is Bob from the sinkhole pic) as I age up and need to strike while the iron is somewhat warm. Perhaps you could join us for some Italian Saturday night in Everett after the bike pen closes. We have reservations at Lombardi's http://lombardisitalian.com/locations/everett-marina-2/ for 7. Pizza the night before is one of my 'never fails' rituals. My treat. Lemme know, ciao

Tri4aCause said...

Thanks for the invite! I will keep you posted. They changed the course bc of the construction! Any thoughts on that? Hope your foot gets better ASAP!

KML5 said...

I am not exactly tickled pink with the announcement (see today's post) but, what do ya do? The main reason I signed up was to ride a new course. Oh well. Ankle held up OK in class this am, so I am trying to allow it to heal further, hopefully it will be at or near 100% come Aug. 14. Thanks for asking. Keep me posted, yes. Have fun and ride hard.