Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sport, Entertainment or Business

Way, way before there was such an animal as the blogosaurus, I had quit being a baseball fan. I think it was the MLB players strike in 1988 that finally did it. I just walked away, disgruntled and ready for a new pastime. You can keep the peanuts and crackerjacks, too, ya bunch of spoiled crybabies. Which is not to say that I don't appreciate the nuance and sublimities of the game, I do, but the slimy business side gives me plenty of boycott fodder. The choice that I make is to not subsidize them. Same with Nike (for other reasons), Starbucks (still others), TV (others yet) and Big Pharma, Big Oil (as much as possible) and the meat industry. This plays out thusly: I will not drive a Hummer, on some kind of blood pressure medication, to Safeco Field, to watch millionaires play a game, chasing a tube steak with overpriced and burnt coffee, wearing a jersey manufactured by an evil company with one of the millionaire's names stitched on the back. I just will not do it.


They are all doing just fine without me, and I, in turn, feel just fine without them.


But last night my brother scored some nice seats for the Mariners-Pardres game. Since I hadn't been to the stadium (it has a corporate name) since its open in 1999, and since it was a glorious summer evening in Seattle, I decided to go with Michael, nephew Elliott and his eight year old pal, Hayden. It was bittersweet. I got into the game, even calling plays (a hit and run in the fifth and a rope single by the Pad's catcher who had had earlier caused a small donnybrook protesting a called third strike), all to the amazement of those assembled near our row, aisle and seats. It was a good game, the Mariner pitcher was brilliant but had no offensive support and the game ended 1-0, Padres. We had fun.


During the contest Michael asked a number of questions as he is now Elliott's coach. One of them had to do with players salaries. I commented that there are several players who make over $100,000 per game, a fact that he found astounding. Here is the list. See for yourselves.


Is it sport, entertainment or business?


The ESPN list also gives totals for other sports. I am not going to argue here if, or if not, darts, eating and bowling even qualify, but I was amused to see that in two of my favorites (and the lowest paid of them all) were the two where women outgunned and outgained the men, distance running and triathlon as Lillya Shobukhova bests Samuel Wanjiru in the marathon and Emma Snowsill tops Tim Don at the Olympic Distance in Triathlon.


WAY TO GO LADIES!!!!!!!

2 comments:

ej said...

interesting, and poker is a sport and racquetball is still a sport and pays pretty good. my question is, what town holds these racquetball tourneys anyway. and is there a racquetball channel I am missing out on.

we're about to hit the driveway with some major fireworks, on BI no less. I hope my neighbors are understanding. I cannot resist.

KML5 said...

Try here for racquetball: http://www.racquetballonline.tv/

Card games are not sport (unless your your name is Bond).

Fireworks at will, have fun (get Spot some earmuffs)