Friday, July 15, 2011

The old is new again



Here is a little piece I cut up over the last few days for the RD at Big Blue Adventures. That was stop two on a west coast tour last year that also included Reno and San Diego. Back in the era when I had a travel budget and a company credit card. The good old days. I think you can see from the video that Tahoe is absolutely spectacular and made for outdoor sports. I highly recommend the Big Blue events, a low-key, high-energy combination of affordable fun. But that was then.


Today is getaway day for Chelanman. I am tackling the 1/2 Iron distance which gets underway at 0700 on the marrow. And because this represents such a magical merging of the old and new (also known as the now), I am borrowing a play from several of my pals playbooks to, well, stir it up a touch. So here is the RCVman DEAL duJOUR:


GUESS MY TIME TOMORROW AND WIN AN OFFICIAL RACE T-SHIRT!!!!! VBAer picking time closest to actual, official RCVman finish time is winner of said garment.


Maybe even mine, maybe even autographed, maybe even signed by the overall male and female champions!!!! Could one day be a serious collectors item!


In case you are NOT an avid follower of the half-ironman circuit, here are some guidelines to assist you in your time picking decision:


2010 National Champion Michael Raelert, GER, 3:41:19

Chelanman Course Record, Michael Gordon, SEA, WA, USA, 4:27:25

RCVman PR, 4:48:12 (1998)

RCVman at Boise 70.3 2010: 6:04

RCVman goal tomorrow: 5:10


Your guess is as good as mine.


One entry per household, void where prohibited, certain restrictions may apply, must be eighteen or over to participate, non-trasnsferrable, all decisions of the judges are final. Use post a comment tab below to enter. If I go 5:10:00 I am keeping the shirt, a disclaimer in fine print so old it's new again.


4 comments:

ej said...

I ran an interesting race against myself today, 'speed golf' on a nine hole course with the holes averging about 200 yards each, lots of elevation change on about 4 of the holes. Using one club, a seven iron, played and finished all nine holes in 12 minutes 9 seconds. Set my age group record. I think even you would appreciate golf in this manner. Ran it barefoot. Cory would like this event.

ej said...

ahhh, 2 hours, 11 minutes and 10 seconds.

Willow said...

4:57.10!!

KML5 said...

Official time: 5:21. ej is closest to.....wins the shirt of my back.