Saturday, July 30, 2011

My Cap is ON

OK, this is a tough one. I struggle with it. Always have. It is like a never ending bad hair day. Let's explore.


This morning after class I was read my Miranda rights and charged with violating Section 12 of the code of social propriety. Seems I had committed a class three misdemeanor by (and I'll quote the letter of the law), "failing to provide proper acknowledgement of a genuine compliment."


You had better appoint me an attorney because I am going to need one, or ten. Guilty as charged. There will be nolo contendre with this mens rea. Fact is, this is not my first offense. I am a habitual offender. I do not accept compliments gracefully.


When asked about it, I redirected the conversation like any good politician, and ended up back at nowhere. Here are a few of the highlights:


Because I am not perfect, or even good, I should stay humble and hungry.

Because I truly want to get better and realize I can give more.

Because I have many flaws.

Because I use unconventional methods and tactics.

Because I fail more often that I win.

Because I make mistakes, err, cause problems, sin.

Because I am weak.

And not because I am insincere, insecure, egotistical, manipulating or embarrassed.

And not because I do not value your opinion.

And not because I feel unworthy.

And not because I never received sufficient praise as an adolescent.


Many times I feel that the compliments aren't for the right reasons, and therefore try to correct the thought without losing the underlying emotion. Mostly I fail at this.


That was great.

Yes, but we have a long way to go.


Killer workout.

Coulda been more killer with more focus.


Rockin set list today.

Almost nailed it. Did you listen to the Tom Waits tune?


Nice race.

I sucked in transition.


Who cuts your hair?

I do, thanks.


With the last one we come full circle. The question was not meant as a compliment but, rather as a jab, the proverbial and sarcastic right hook, if you will. Yet I answered it with the proper response.


Life can come at ya pretty quick sometimes. Differentiating between a sincere compliment and a passing quirky remark is a skill.


I suppose as I try to get better at it I'll keep my cap on.


Oh, and THANKS.

6 comments:

Willow said...

We all are guilty of this!!!! I'll be the first to admit it :). I've found, however, that the Complimenter feels badly when the Complimented doesn't genuinely receive the compliment!!! Anyway, you are a great guy. Don't put so much pressure on yourself. We are all imperfect and fallible human beings!

KML5 said...

Good points, thanks for sharing. And congratulations on your amazing recovery, way to go. (Imperfect is my middle name.)

ej said...

i think you an ok spin instructor.

KML5 said...

Well, that is a start, we can build from there. (I mean, thank you kindly, sir.)

ej said...

just kidding, you're a better spin instructor than i am a student, thats for sure. bernie would certainly agree. but then, alexandria, i could always get up early for her class (it was also 6:30 am...)

KML5 said...

There are some instances where I cannot compete. She was one. Tomorrow is another day (we go at 0529)